It's Thursday. I'm at the tail end of Spring Break. And the only better thing I have to do tonight is watch Kramer vs. Kramer and write part of a term paper. Huzzuh! So, let's be honest. Regular readers must be kind of annoyed that I've been lax on the reviews. New readers are all, "I'm looking for MiO and what is this" but I just can't afford to give a damn or even half a damn. Not when there's homemade salsa verde and 84 degree afternoons on the horizon.
So, once again, another faux-Mexican't recipe from a girl who eats a lot of hot sauce. This time I'm hawking salsa verde that's almost, kind of like the one your favorite- er, my favorite restaurant has in abundance and refuses to share the recipe for. It's delicious. And I made tacos and topped them with grilled triangles of queso blanco and the tinny quintessential flavor of Texas Pete. Unofficially and illegally endorsed by Foodette Reviews!
Grilled Queso Blanco and Salsa Verde Chicken Tacos
Ingredients (serves 2, three tacos apiece)
1/2 cup of salsa verde (recipe below)
2 large boneless and skinless chicken breasts
6 slices of queso fresco, cut into triangles
6 corn tortillas
Hot sauce to taste
1. Cut the chicken into small one-inch cubes and marinate in the salsa for thirty to sixty minutes.
2. Heat a medium grill pan or outdoor grill to medium high heat. Place the corn tortillas and cheese wedges on them for two minutes on each side, enough to get char marks on each side.
3. Grill the chicken until cooked and blackened slightly on each side and serve atop the tortillas, garnished with a little fresh salsa and hot sauce.
Ingredients (makes 4 cups)
1/2 large yellow onion
1 cup cilantro
2 cloves of garlic
1 lb of husked and quartered tomatillos
3 jalapeno peppers
1 squeezed lime's worth of juice
1. Chop the onion and tomatillos and deseed the pepper.
2. Throw everything in a blender, pulse until smooth. Season to taste.
Try these and then you'll believe me when I tell you that none of the three iterations of fresh salsa, chicken, and tortillas I've made in the last week along have had photo documentation due to gorging. You'll see. You'll all see.
Labels: cooking, hot, shameless foodette