Foodette in Gay Paris: What I've been Eating

I thought I'd give you a glimpse into my diet here- it's a little different than what I'm used to back home, but still delicious! My goal has been to try a new cheese every time I need it at the grocery store, and with the low prices and wide selection, that's not difficult to achieve.

In addition to eating cheese, I get a fresh baguette or loaf of bread from the bakery down the street each morning. There are two of them- the trick is picking the one that doesn't publicly humiliate a patron who, say, asks for "un" baguette at six in the morning instead of "une" baguette and has, "Oh, ewe 'ood like wahn baguette, laydee?!" scathingly screeched at her. Needless to say, I go to the other one, the one that gives bread and doesn't ask questions. And I always ask for "une" baguette.
With that delicious bread, I make sandwiches, accompanied by fresh fruit and coffee. And this is usually how my day begins.
For lunch, I have been sticking to basic dishes with plenty of leftovers, like pasta and this failed attempt at crepes above, as well as my latest all-purpose sandwich combining my favorite things (hot sauce, fresh raspberries, eggs, meat, and cheese) that ends up costing around $1.40 if I'm careful.
What can I say? I'm glamorous and smart.

My cheese selection has varied, but I'm most partial to mild, soft cheeses, like this Basque Tomme Noir and gooey Petit Munster.

However, when I have a big lunch, I usually go all-out and have a lot of protein and of course, potatoes on the side. This was from a visit to a delicious farm- I met all of the animals, and then I ate them. Roasted duck with bacon and house potatoes.
And despite my love for all icy beverages, I've developed a taste for tea, especially Kusmi's offerings and the famous French tea house, Mariage Freres, whose haunting bourbon vanilla tea starts or ends a day with finesse.

Berthillon? Don't mind if I do. There's always room for dessert. This wasn't the authentic Berthillon- their original location was closed for renovation when I went, but there are plenty of licensed Berthillon retailers to satisfy your creamy cravings. None of that knockoff stuff! This was a sweet, fresh cone of gianduja, with chunks of orange rind and nut, and salted caramel. So there's a week in the life- can't wait to show you more of what I've been cooking!

Labels: ,