Davio's Northern Italian Macaroni and Cheese Spring Rolls

Now that I'm navigating the world as an intrepid, paunchy bachelor, I'm finding that food just isn't holding as much compel as it used to. Rather, it's taken a backseat to the exciting minutia of single adult life, like perusing the dismal grocery selection, where the Alpo is literally next to the Campbell's, at the local convenience store with the appraised eye of a Storage Wars veteran.

So, as I briefly alluded to with my last post, a trip to the real-life, big city grocery store brings both trials and tribulations, including the almost comically depressive existential decline of this very blog's content. I remember when this blog used to be grassroots, man. Cell phone photos and hairbrushes all over the place. Now I'm just surrounded by women, empty space, and a thousand and one iterations of Pop Tarts that no man truly needs. The selection at Target has me yearning for the days of limited-edition Doritos that weren't throwbacks to throwbacks debuting in 2007 but really in 1963?

The sheer overload has me grabbing shit off the shelves just so I can get home and watch Community. Last week, one of those shits happened to be these spring rolls. Congratulations, Davio's, and may God have mercy on your fillet of sole.
These are Davio's Macaroni and Cheese Rolls, and the only unhappiness they tangentially bring to my mother comes from the fact that I purchased them in the first place, thus further shaming the family and increasing my risk of heart disease. As for the drooling, I regret to inform you that said reaction cannot be attributed to the golden-brown crust of the rolls, but the sudden stroke you'll incur after downing one or two of these. 180 calories per roll and not a lick of flavor to show for it. For all their plump-noodled glory, they are extremely bland and far too creamy and the noodles fade into an oblivion of flour and oil.

Also, Davio's assumes its core demographic still lives with their parents. Is there anyone they don't abjectly hate?

Let's get one thing off our chests: the sauce I made to accompany this, per Davio's tutelage, bears a disproportionate resemblance to human waste. It only adds insult to injury that I attempted to arrange the rolls as though I was presenting them to a party of six drunk twenty-somethings after a showing of "Love Actually" and a rabid desire for closure and saturated fat. However, it did help detract from the sheer richness of these rolls, like mozzarella sticks wrapped in spring rolls and carefully aggregated marketing data targeting my generation's inability to let go of their childhoods. I'm surprised it didn't come with a $2 off coupon of the Blu-Ray re-release of The Princess Bride.
Again, that doesn't justify these existing as miniaturized fried human salt licks. Not in the slightest, unless you are starving or trapped in a fast-casual restaurant in a blizzard and it's between these or your coworker, Chad.

Labels: , ,