Applegate Farms Gluten-Free Chicken Nuggets

I miss McDonald's. They tweeted me the other day and I didn't have the heart to tell them how much I loved them and wanted them back. I've been pulling up to the local franchise on North Beacon, standing outside with my trusty Sounddock cued up to 'In Your Eyes.' The neighbors really didn't like that, but it's for love, y'know?
I have also scared The Bedfellow on two occasions when she was eating a McDouble, the first culminating in the screamed repetition of 'BREEEAAAADDDDDD' along with an accusatory finger point, and the second was a little more subtle, the silent but ever-powerful 'Hungry Dog' look.
Image and video hosting by HilariousGIFs.com  
Please note that this also happens with real cupcakes. But I'm getting help. I'm looking for solutions. One of those may or may not be the scarily reasonably-priced chicken nuggets from Applegate Farms. I get them from the Stop and Shop that has all of the gluten-free things, and then go to the Stop and Shop with the wide array of tortillas and better sauces. For a mere $5, I have the power of 16 chicken nuggets. They're about 75% smaller than Mickey D's, almost closer to popcorn chicken, and come with a selection of zero dipping sauces, but work out pretty well in the price department.

In fact, they actually remind me of my own homemade nuggets, may their recipe rest in peace. Rest in pie. Ress in pee. I give up, there's no joke there. They are coated in a mixture of corn starch and rice flour, which could be pretty easy to replicate. I dipped them in hot mustard. Because the breading is somewhat yellowed to begin with, it's difficult to tell when they are finished. I tested one for quality assurance and found that the breading was somewhat sticky when they were undercooked, but eventually crisped up with no trouble at all. And while I'm happy to flip over the nuggets to ensure maximum crunch, doing so with such delicate breading is frustrating.

Despite the slight fumbles, though, these are an amazing substitute for nuggets or any breaded chicken, if you're patient and can get the breading very crispy. The chicken is tender and moist, with a thick, crispy coating, heavy on the black pepper. Dipped in hot mustard, there's nothing better.
Also, because I'm an adult, I ate them on top of my recently paid insurance bills, hashtag classy, like a boss, or comparable bill-paying figure. I'm curious to see how these would be if I fried them, too. Ultimately, it's something I would buy again. It's easy to eat a box as a meal when you're not in the mood to cook.

Labels: , , , ,